Learn how to make scented salt dough Christmas ornaments with this easy DIY. And your little ones will have fun helping you too!
This morning was a rainy and chilly one. A perfect day for staying in our pajamas and adding some touches of Christmas throughout the house. So we made homemade salt dough ornaments. I had never made them before but they were really easy to make. The kids loved helping roll out the dough and playing with the cookie cutters and the house smelled like Christmas. Salt dough ornaments look great on the tree, you can add to a garland, or paint them and use as gift tags.
Homemade scented salt dough Christmas ornaments
You will need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- Optional 10 drops of your favorite essential oil (I did a blend of Eucalyptus and Orange)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl mix together flour, salt and spices. If you choose to add some essential oils, add those in as well.
- Add in 1 cup of water
- Mix well until dough comes together. It should not be sticky.
- Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Use some cookie cutters to cut out your ornaments.
- Make a tiny hole on the ornaments using a straw.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 1 hour then flip and bake for an hour on the other side.
- Let cool. String with twine.
For more Christmas DIYs check out
Sign up below for more ideas right to your inbox!
Pin for later