This post is sponsored by Linqia but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
So someone you know is having a baby. You want to gift them something special but don’t know what. I’m sharing some of my favorite creative baby shower gift ideas they are sure to love.
1.) Something handmade or personal – I love handmade, personalized gifts. One of my favorite handmade gifts that I received at my shower was a toy box that was made by my aunt and uncle. My mom and sisters displayed it at my baby shower and people each brought a book to start the baby’s library and stacked them on the toy box.
Some of my other favorite ideas are a personalized blanket with the months so that mama can capture those monthly photos to see how much baby has grown.
Another cute idea is this wooden sign you can personalize with baby’s name to be hung in the nursery. I got one for each of my boys from Hickory Hollow Designs and they are gorgeous!
2.) Newborn photography session – My sister’s gave this to us when I had my first and I was so glad that they did. With everything I had going on, I never would have thought on my own to book a photographer to take photos when we came home. And those photos, I will treasure them forever.
3.) Invest in their future – Whether you have a newborn or a teenager, it’s never too early to start saving for higher education. With the NY’s 529 College Savings Program Direct Plan, parents and family members can start putting away money for college now so that it’s less loans they or their children will have to take out later. It’s something you can always contribute to, so when birthdays start rolling around you always have a go to thoughtful gift. Plus, they have an easy gifting portal called UGift that allows you to give friends and family members a unique code to add to your 529 account My parent’s did a 529 plan with my sisters and I growing up and it was definitely helpful since higher education is very expensive and we were able to choose any eligible school, this includes vocation, trade schools, community colleges and graduate schools! For more information go to NYsaves.org.
What are some things that you received for your baby shower that was your favorite gift?
- Up to $10,000 is deductible annually from New York State taxable income for married couples filing jointly; single taxpayers can deduct up to $5,000 annually. State tax benefits for non-resident New York taxpayers may vary. State tax deductions may be subject to recapture in certain circumstances such as rollovers to another state’s 529 plan, nonqualified withdrawls, or withdrawls used to pay expenses for tuition in connection with enrollment or attendance at an elementary or secondary public, private or religious school. Please consult your tax advisor.
- Investment returns are not garuanteed, and you could lose money by investing in New York’s 529 College Savings Program Direct Plan.
- For more information about New York’s 529 College Savings Program Direct Plan, download a Disclosure Booklet and Tuition Savings Agreement at http://www.nysaves.org or request one by calling 877-NYSAVES (877-697-2837). This document includes investment objectives, risks, charges, expenses and other information. You should read and consider them carefully before investing.
- Before you invest, consider wither your or the beneficiary’s home state offers any state tax or other benefits that are only available for investments in that state’s 529 plan. Other state benefits may include financial aid, scholarship funds, and protection from creditors.
- The Comptroller of the State of New York and the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation are the Program Administrators and are responsible for implementing and administering the Direct Plan.
- Ascensus Broker Dealer Services, LLC, serves as Program Manager and, in connection with its affiliates, provides recordkeeping and administrative support services and is responsible for day-to-day operations of the Direct Plan. The Vanguard Group, Inc., serves as the Investment Manager. Vanguard Marketing Corporation provides marketing and distribution services to the Direct Plan.
- No guarantee: None of the State of New York, its agencies, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), The Vanguard Group, Inc., Ascensus Broker Dealer Services, LLC, nor any of their applicable affiliates insures accounts or guarantees the principal deposited therein or any investment returns on any account or investment portfolio.
- New York’s 529 College Savings Program currently includes two separate 529 plans. The Direct Plan is sold directly by the Program. You may also participate in the Advisor Plan, which is sold exclusively through financial advisors and has different investment options ad higher fees and expenses as well as financial advisor compensation.