I have been on a soup kick lately and this is one of my family’s favorites! Creamy tomato spinach tortellini soup is warm and comforting and perfect served with a big crusty piece of bread. Plus, I love the leftovers the next day for lunch! (Tip – for leftovers, add a little more broth as the pasta soaks up much of the liquid).
I never measure when I cook, so I tried my best to get you guys the correct measurements 🙂
Nicolle’s creamy tomato spinach tortellini soup
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 2 bags of frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- In a large pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add garlic and onions, cooking down until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add spinach and tortellini, stirring until combined. Reduce to a simmer until tortellini cooked through.
- Top with heavy cream and stir until combined. Season with salt, pepper, fresh basil and crushed red pepper.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve.